I am writing as a Latino male that grew up in the West Coast. I have dealt with police officers all of my life and have many friends that grew up in sketchy to ghetto neighborhoods where gang banging was and continues to be a big deal.
I recognize that, unlike blacks, we did not grow up under Jim Crow, segregation, and slavery. Our experiences as Latino’s is a different one and does not make it completely comparable to that of African-Americans. That being said, most Latino’s look at the current advantages given to blacks (scholarships, affirmative action, government assistance, etc.) and don’t understand why they are continue to complain and not take advantage of the blessings they have been given, compared to those who live in a third-world country with no opportunity.
Their way of life, compared to our families that come from the third world, is outstanding to say the least. Sure, there is some racial tension, but its like that in our countries as well. Don’t believe for one moment that white Latino’s are not prejudiced against darker skinned Latino’s and vice versa. It happens all the time and it is quite obvious.
Also, no one is denying that police brutality does not exist. Of course it does. However, just because something exists does not mean it is prevalent or that race is the sole or main cause of said brutality. Power attracts corruption. Police were brutal against the Irish, Scottish, Italians and other groups which led directly to the formation of the Mafia in the United States.
Most of us believe that most police officers are good and noble people. At the very least, most want to do their job and go home. Yes, there are some bad apples. Unfortunately, many are overworked and under a tremendous amount of stress, which can lead to horrible judgment and terrible consequences.
As we all know, correlation does not imply causation. Just because a black person is shot and shown in the media 24/7, does not mean racism is automatically at play. It also does not mean that racism is not at play. We must determine the reasoning for the shootings by waiting for the facts to come out.
Mr. Wolf from RedState states that blacks want what Christians want, to be left alone. I would argue that is incorrect. Surely, there are many blacks that want to be left to their own devices. However, that ship has long sailed. I believe it was Frederick Douglass that stated, “Everybody has asked the question, and they learned to ask it early of the abolitionists, ‘What shall we do with the Negro?’ I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us.”
The problem with the black community has some of its origin in slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation. However, let us not ignore the modern-day problems, either. The African-American community has been imploding since the 1940’s. Walter Williams, a black economist, has written extensively on the subject. The family unit has been disintegrating at lightening speed. Fathers are no longer present in the home and it is not a result of some racial conspiracy to lock them up.
Homicides, drive-by-shootings, other violent crimes such as burglary and robbery, drug-dealing, car-jacking and overall violence has exploded in the black community in the past 60 + years. This is not some problem that came solely from the oppression of the black community. If that were so, then why was New Orleans one of the most prosperous states in the Union after slavery? Blacks were the entrepreneurs, they were the hard-working men and women that made something of themselves. In fact, prior to the 1940’s, blacks had a better and more stable family unit than whites. The black family remained intact from the end of Slavery until the 1940’s, where big-government began to give welfare and other government handouts.
The problem now, is that the media has spun a narrative so perverse that it has pitted blacks against whites. President Obama has been enemy number one in this area. Since his first year in office when his mentor Henry L. Gates was questioned by a white officer for what appeared to be him breaking into a house. It later came out that Mr. Gates forgot his key and was trying to get inside his home, but the officer did not know this. He was called by a neighbor to come see what appeared to be a B&E. What was President Obama’s response before all the facts were known? The police acted stupidly.
I find all this race-baiting from Obama laughable. Here is a man that is not even black. His father was not even African-American. Obama has had zero black experiences in his life. He doesn’t know what discrimination is, what police brutality is, or what the black or Latino experience is all about. He is half-white, grew up with white grandparents and was raised in Hawaii. Hawaii is one of the most laid back and diverse states in the Union. Most of the island is populated by Pacific Islanders and people from Asian descent. This man went to Ivy league schools, visited Indonesia, and lived in Hawaii and Chicago. He then went on to become President. What discrimination has he experienced?
Now you have this Black Lives Matter movement that was started on a lie. Michael Brown was no saint, in fact he was a bully and a thug. The “hands up don’t shoot” comment was proven to be a lie. He went after Officer Wilson’s gun and tried to shoot him. Michael Brown was a huge guy, not some small, scrawny boy. It took around eight shots to bring him down while he was charging at Officer Wilson. Again, a grand jury saw the evidence and exonerated Officer Wilson .
In order for anyone to believe that there is systemic racism in our justice system against blacks, there are several premises one must adopt: 1) that all or most cops are racist, even the black ones; 2) Juries, even those with black and Latino jurors are also racist; 3) most of the judges (who are also mostly appointed by democratic administrations) are racist; 4) most of the black men put in jail are non-violent offenders and are there because of race; and 5) because black men make up a higher percentage of arrests and incarcerations, there is racism.
There are far more men incarcerated than women. Does this also mean that there is less equality in prisons? This of course is a ridiculous proposition and no one (hopefully) would believe that we need more women in prison to balance out the men.
Now to the good stuff. The above is all true, but it is worthless without statistics. The President loves to cite his “facts” and say, “those are the facts.” Yes, they are, but cherry-picking facts doesn’t make them accurate. Context matters, especially with facts.
The Department of Justice, a government website (to which Obama has access), has released new numbers on racial homicides at the hands of police. It has also released numbers on violence within each different ethnicity. So, what did we learn from these statistics (will post links below)?
- During the 2012/2013 period, blacks committed an average of 560,600 violent crimes against whites, whereas whites committed only 99,403 such crimes against blacks. This means blacks were the attackers in 84.9 percent of the violent crimes involving blacks and whites.
- We find that violent interracial crime involving blacks and Hispanics occurs in almost exactly the same proportions as black/white crime: Blacks are the attackers 82.5 percent of the time, while Hispanics are attackers only 17.5 percent of the time.
- There are only about 30 percent more Hispanics than blacks, yet black-on-Hispanic violence is almost as lopsided as black-on-white violence. This suggests blacks may be deliberately targeting both whites and Hispanics.
- Using figures for the 2013 racial mix of the population–62.2 percent white, 17.1 percent Hispanic, 13.2 percent black–we can calculate the average likelihood of a person of each race attacking the other. A black is 27 times more likely to attack a white and 8 times more likely to attack a Hispanic than the other way around. A Hispanic is eight times more likely to attack a white than vice versa.
- When whites commit violence they choose fellow whites as victims 82.4 percent of the time, and almost never attack blacks. Blacks attack whites almost as often as they attack blacks, and Hispanics attack whites more often than they attack any other group, including their own.
- Only 40.1 percent of the victims of black violence are black, while people of other races account for nearly 60 percent of the victims of black violence
- There are dramatic race differences in crime rates. Asians have the lowest rates, followed by whites, and then Hispanics. Blacks have notably high crime rates. This pattern holds true for virtually all crime categories and for virtually all age groups.
- In 2015, a black person was 2.45 times more likely than a white person to be shot and killed by the police. A Hispanic person was 1.21 times more likely. These figures are well within what would be expected given race differences in crime rates and likelihood to resist arrest.
- In 2015, police killings of blacks accounted for approximately 4 percent of homicides of blacks. Police killings of unarmed blacks accounted for approximately 0.6 percent of homicides of blacks. The overwhelming majority of black homicide victims (93 percent from 1980 to 2008) were killed by blacks.
- In 2013, a black was six times more likely than a nonblack to commit murder, and 12 times more likely to murder someone of another race than to be murdered by someone of another race.
- Roughly 49 percent of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30 percent were black. He also found that 19 percent were Hispanic and 2 percent were Asian and other races.
- According to the WashingtonTimes:
- “If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”
- “Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”
- The fact-checking website PolitiFact concluded in August 2014 that police kill more whites than blacks after the claim was made by conservative commentator Michael Medved. PolitiFact cited data from the Centers for Disease Control on fatal injuries by “legal intervention” from 1999 to 2011.
- Despite the recent flood of media coverage involving police shootings, Mr. Moskos advised his readers to “keep all this morbidity in perspective,” reminding them that very few people, white or black, will ever be shot or killed by police.“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”
- Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015. According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. The majority of these victims had a gun or “were armed or otherwise threatening the officer with potentially lethal force,” according to MacDonald in a speech at Hillsdale College.
- More whites and Hispanics die from police homicides than blacks. According to MacDonald, 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.
- The Wall Street Journal, 2009 statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics reveal that blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.
- “Such a concentration of criminal violence in minority communities means that officers will be disproportionately confronting armed and often resisting suspects in those communities, raising officers’ own risk of using lethal force,” writes MacDonald.
- Black and Hispanic police officers are more likely to fire a gun at blacks than white officers. This is according to a Department of Justice report in 2015 about the Philadelphia Police Department, and is further confirmed that by a study conducted University of Pennsylvania criminologist Greg Ridgeway in 2015 that determined black cops were 3.3 times more likely to fire a gun than other cops at a crime scene.
- Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. According to MacDonald, the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.
- According to the US Department of Justice (“Homicide Trends in the United States, 1980–2008“), blacks accounted for 52.5 percent of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3 percent and “other” 2.2 percent.
Now, in case you are saying, “you got all of those statistics from right-wing groups.” These statistics are from the DOJ and FBI, which were analyzed by conservative-leaning websites. However, for the sake of argument, I will also supply some statistics from MotherJones and the Guardian, hardly “right-wing” websites:
- In officer-involved shootings in these cities, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were equally likely to have been carrying a weapon. Both of these results undercut the idea that the police wield lethal force with racial bias.
- Blacks are 23.8 percent less likely to be shot at by police relative to whites. Hispanics are 8.5 percent less likely.
- Blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to have an interaction with police which involves any use of force.
- According to statistics maintained by the far-left extremist Guardian newspaper in Britain, more than half of all people killed by US police this year have been white, while only 25 percent have been black.
- According to the Guardian’s tally, of the approximately 1001 people killed by police this year in America, 502 were white, 250 were black, 163 were Hispanic/Latino, 18 were Asian/Pacific Islander, 13 were American Indian, and 54 were other/unknown.
- Not only do these figures show that, in real numbers, more whites are killed by police than blacks, but, when contrasted in proportion to the crime rates of each group, whites are in fact far more likely to be killed by police than any other race, especially when it comes to violent criminal offenses.
- These figures infamously added all Hispanic crimes into the “white” category, and once this distortion is stripped out, it is estimated that around 90 percent of all violent crimes in America are committed by nonwhites.
These are just the basic facts. I have provided links to all of my research below. There is so much out there if you want to look and educate yourself. I understand tensions are high and that the black community has an inherent distrust of police due to past actions. But this narrative of blacks being massacred in the streets is just not true.
Most, if not all, of the recent black shootings by police have involved men with long criminal records. That does not mean the shootings were justified, but it shows that they were not saints and that there may be more to the story than just racism. Michael Brown, Treyvon Martin, and Freddie Grey were not upstanding citizens or cuddly harmless teddy-bears. They were criminals with violent offenses.
In the most recent shootings of Castile and Alton Sterling, we need to find out more facts before passing judgment one way or the other. The videos seem horrible, but we do not know what transpired before the shooting. Context matters.
In conclusion, is there brutality and corruption among police. Yes. Are most police so corrupt and racist that they are going out trying to murder black people for sport or just because..racism? No. The facts show the opposite is true.The research shows that black and Hispanic cops tend to shoot minorities more often than white cops. Clearly, there is something more that we are not seeing or hearing from the media.
Again, the facts, taken in context, speak for themselves. Just like everything, gather all your information before coming to a conclusion. To quote Ben Shapiro, “facts don’t care about your feelings.”