As this awful campaign season has dragged on, there has been no shortage of people arguing whether Donald Trump is a conservative or a liberal. I personally think this is a simple answer, but many do not.
There are many that mistakenly believe because Donald Trump has an (R) next to his name, is backed by the Republican Party, and speaks harshly but vaguely on immigration, this makes him a conservative. They are wrong.
In order to try and identify if someone is aligned with a particular ideology, we must first define our terms:
What is a conservative? A conservative believes that America is exceptional because of its founding and the great men and women that founded it. Exceptional does not mean perfect, just exceptional.
A conservative believes, even if they are not religious, that God must play an intricate role in the country.
A conservative believes in limited government and understands that the bigger a government grows, the more tyrannical it becomes.
A conservative believes in individual liberty and personal responsibility.
A conservative believes that the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are our guiding stars, not the populace, government, or mob rule.
A conservative believes that taxes are voluntary from the people to the government (we allowed them to do so under the Constitution), but the government does not have an inherent right to it and it can be taken away or reformed at any time by the people.
A conservative believes that frivolous spending and redistribution of wealth is stealing the money someone else has earned; yes, even the rich.
A conservative believes that free-trade has made America the bastion of liberty and economic power in the world, not tariffs.
A conservative believes that speech must be free, even if we hate it.
Finally, a conservative believes that once the people become unmoored from the Constitution and Declaration and look to government for the answer, we are in a serious decline.
Unlike what Donald Trump has previously stated, a conservative does not want to just “conserve” things. I will list some of the things Donald Trump has done or said that are or should be anathema to a conservative or a Republican. It is mind-boggling how on some issues he is to the left of Hillary Clinton (who is the worst human being in existence). I will provide links showing where I obtained my information. Okay, let’s begin…
- Donald Trump was to the left of Romney in 2012 on immigration. Donald Trump met with “dreamers” in Trump Tower to talk immigration reform and claimed Romney was too “mean” on immigration. So, how is it Donald Trump is the immigration hawk now? Who knows.
- Donald Trump praised and donated to Planned Parenthood. Donald Trump has also supported federal funding for Planned Parenthood. Of course, he argues that he only wants federal funding for the non-abortion aspect of Planned Parenthood. However, being a person that supposedly knows about business, he should know that money is fungible. Any dollar given to Planned Parenthood for “non-abortion” activities is not earmarked and therefore frees up another dollar Planned Parenthood would have otherwise had to spend on something else. Therefore, it is funding abortion. He should know this and probably does, but says it anyway.
- Donald Trump has supported partial birth abortion. Anyone…I mean anyone that knows anything about partial birth abortion would never support it unless they are evil. So either he is an idiot or he is evil. Partial birth abortion is when the baby is fully formed and they kill it outside of the womb. Barbaric stuff. Now, he supposedly “evolved” on the issue while supporting it his whole life. Maybe I am just cynical, but a person that “evolves” on an issue just before they run for President is pretty sketchy to me.
- Donald Trump supported the 2008 bailouts. No conservative worth his salt would support the bailout of corporations. The Tea-Party was furious at George W. Bush and Barack Obama. Where is the outrage with Trump?
- Donald Trump has openly advocated for universal healthcare and has praised Scotland and Canada for their “great” healthcare systems. As a side note, he also stated during the debates that the government was going to pay for healthcare (aka We the People). That’s right.
- Donald Trump has supported nationalizing banks. Which, by the way, is to the left of Hillary Clinton and is more in line with Bernie Sanders.
- Donald Trump praised President Obama as a President.
- Donald Trump praised Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State and said she would make a tremendous president. It’s important to note that he praised her in 2012, when the Middle East was already on fire. This was only four years ago.
- Donald Trump was for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan before he was against it or in the middle at best. It seems his main reason for opposing the war soon after its inception was due to economic hardships in New York.
- Donald Trump peddles and believes insane conspiracy theories such as Obama not being born in the U.S., Ted Cruz’s father was involved in JFK’s assassination, Bush was responsible for 9/11, etc..[I won’t provide links for this one as I do not want to give any attention to crazy people. A quick google search will be sufficient].
- Donald Trump has donated to powerful Democrats such as Hillary and Chuck Schumer. As a result, he helped fund Chuck Schumer’s Gang of 8 Bill while we were all fighting against it. That’s right, Mr. Immigration.
- Donald Trump was for removing Gadhafi in Libya.
- Donald Trump invited Hillary Clinton to his wedding. No conservative would ever invite such a liberal to their wedding. This is before praising her and hanging out with Bill Clinton.
- No need for source. Common knowledge and was acknowledged during the debates.
- Donald Trump is for ethanol subsidies. He ran on increasing subsidies for ethanol during the Iowa Caucus and slammed Ted Cruz for wanting to remove them. No conservative supports subsidies. None. If you do, you are not a conservative.
- Donald Trump has called for more “infrastructure spending” than Hillary Clinton. Obama tried this and called it the “Stimulus package” which would supposedly create “shovel ready” jobs. We all know how that turned out.
- Donald Trump wants to expand libel laws to be able to sue news agencies (aka the press).
- Donald Trump was for banning “assault” weapons and took a slightly better than liberal stance on the Second Amendment, but not by much. Now he is Mr. NRA.
- Donald Trump, Mr. Politically Incorrect does not have the guts to definitively state his position on the transgender bathroom issue. When asked, he states “leave it to the states.” On its face it is a good answer, but he has not come out defending North Carolina’s governor on his brave stance. No, he stated it was not a good idea because it is hurting the state economically. Then, he allowed Bruce (aka Caitlyn) Jenner to use whatever bathroom he wanted to use in Trump Tower. Disgusting.
- Donald Trump wants to raise taxes on practically everyone, especially the rich. Yes, there will be tax cuts and some reform. There are some good aspects to the plan and it is better than Hillary’s, but it still has some liberal aspects to it.
- Trump wants to raise the minimum wage after saying he would not do so.
- Donald Trump does not believe in free trade, nor does he understand it (or just doesn’t care). Donald Trump rails against NAFTA and other free trade agreements. He also bemoans trade deficits without understanding that we buy far more from China than they do from us. We do so because their products are cheaper to produce thus cheaper to buy. His raving mad followers don’t understand simple economics. This is antithetical to our conservative position on trade and the founders.
- Donald Trump wants to force corporations to remain in the U.S. Where are we, China? Is there anything more un-American or against freedom? If we believe in the free-market and freedom, we must strive to incentivize corporations to stay via low corporate taxes, low regulations, etc.. not force.
- Donald Trump supported Same Sex Marriage before he was kind of against it.
- Donald Trump stated he wanted someone like his sister on the Supreme Court. She is a huge pro-abortion advocate and activist.
There you go. Twenty-four reasons why Donald Trump is a liberal. If any other Republican were to hold these views, they would be cast out of the Republican Party and laughed at for claiming to be a conservative.
It’s one thing to vote for Donald Trump because we think he may be slightly (maybe) better than Hillary Clinton, but quite another to believe he is going to be a great president.
He is not a conservative, he is a liberal. He just changed the letter (D) to (R) and told us Republican voters what we wanted to hear. Anyone who believes him will be sorely disappointed if he becomes president in November.
This is why principles are so important. When we abandon them, we get someone like Donald Trump when we had far better options, at least seven of them.
Either way, we will have a Democrat in the White House come November. God help us all…